Thursday, December 31, 2009

Morning Walk

This last day of the year always seems to make me a little meloncoly. A great time of renewal and for reflection. So I take you on my morning walk at a brisk 55 degrees at the top of Turtle Ridge. I love the day after a rain. Everything is clean, bright, and wet. I'm alone with my thoughts of this passing year, changes to our family, a new grandbaby, a new ward, house, basically a change in every direction.

The plan is so well laid out for all of us to come back to our heavenly home. Some have steeper hills to climb while others enjoy the view, but no one escapes the plan...easy or hard-just worth it. My morning walk reflects life with it's many paths, hills, & views. If you look closely you can catch a glimpse of downtown LA, the tip of Catalina, Saddleback mountain, the Orange balloon, the tip of Pales Verdes, Fashion Island, Marine Base Hangers, Airplanes just lifted off from John Wayne, yes there is plenty to view from the top. This view never seizes to amaze me. So much to be thankful for, first- that I actually have the health and strength to walk, eyes to see the quick lizards crossing my path, ears to hear the hussle of the freeway, the birds in the trees and the kids riding on their new tricycles.

My thanks towards our Creator seems pale in comparison to the blessings. Which brings me to an on going goal I will continue for the new year is to have extended gratitude even when it's hard. Maybe I'll try a few French recipes from Julia Childs and call it Joni & Julia...ha-ha! Take more time for genealogy, slow down, and enjoy life. I mean really take it in and breath, be calmer, visit those I love, sew more quilts, and live more stress free. Temple visits, longer walks, stay healthy, I know this list will continue.

On my walk you will see several gates, towards the end is one that doesn't have a door but it is narrow. Straight and narrow is the way to him who has Created us. As I walked through this gate it was an affirmation that my path is narrow and my will is straight. That only through our Savior do we find eternal happiness. May all of you find your path straight and narrow in the coming year! Love to all of you as we find the time to refresh our lives, love our families, and have gratitude!

No comments: