
Last night Brenan received 8 more merit badges equaling a total of 25...Way to go Brenan! On a side note- Brenan went camping to San Jacinto Mountain just above Palm Springs on Monday night. They were told they would be sleeping in tents, it would be 40 degrees at night and have a wonderful hike in. I think he was expecting to play capture the flag or something. WELLLLL, They got off the tram and hiked in 7 miles with snow on the ground. It was pitch black by 6pm with no tents to sleep in. They laid out their bags with a thin pad and ground cloth having about 1/2 inch between the snow and the sleeping bag. They would be sighted if they built a fire. The entire party were in their bags by 6:45pm and tried to go to sleep. Needless to say they all froze the entire night. One of Brenan's quote's after he arrived home was "that was the worst camp out I have EVER been on". So I'm waiting for him to either get sick and/or boycott, I mean investigate the next camp out. One of the requirements for the camping merit badge (required for eagle) is to sleep in the snow. We can check that one off the list. I think this tops it for his "Bear Grylls" wilderness survival event. After having a very warm shower and falling asleep at 8pm he began his recovery! I didn't make him unpack his hiking pack until after school the next day. I had to show some sympathy here...

This is Roger his Scoutmaster who actually wasn't able to go on the trip.

New patches for his sash and shirt pocket...The silver ones in the middle are required for Eagle. (4 more to go)
3 comments:
That is way brutal. I can't believe they didn't have tents? What happened to them, did someone forget them or what? Seriously that is pretty brave Brenan... I am quite impressed with your ability to hang in there and tough it out. It was probably a good thing that you didn't hear about his situation until after they got home. I would have been worried sick mom.... I don't know if my future son is going to be able to leave my side... and not because he's going to be a mama's boy... I'm just going to be a big whimp.
Brenan,
Great campout buddy! It may have been a challenge but you will talk about it for years to come. Congrats on getting to Life...almost there! That's awesome. Keep us posted.
Aunt Vicki
Ooh! I just heard a story last night of a group who did the same camp out years ago and the leaders didn't plan on the snow. They were blinded by it and couldn't get back to their cars. They camped out and when they awoke, a boy had died from the cold. (This is a downer, I know) Turns out they were only 500 feet from the car. So sad and I bet that leader beats himself up about it. Brenan Grylls, way to go!
Post a Comment